Here are some websites and books which I think may be useful.
- Body Control Pilates: www.bodycontrolpilates.co.uk
- The Studio, Tattenhall: www.thestudiotattenhall.co.uk– where all Pilates and Equipilates™ sessions happen.
- Core Awareness: www.coreawareness.com – for all things regarding the psoas muscle.
- Body Control Pilates Bible by Lynne Robinson, Lisa Bradshaw and Nathan Gardner. The most comprehensive and accessible guide to Pilates.
- Anatomy Trains by Thomas W. Meyers. Not for the faint hearted to read, but there are some great illustrations to help understand anatomy, fascia and ultimately muscle release. Additionally, a really useful read from a RWYM Rider Biomechanics point of view.
2. Equipilates™ – alignment and movement therapy for horse and rider
- Equipilates™: www.equipilates.com
- Pilates for Riders by Lindsay Wilcox-Reid. Align your spine and control your core for a perfect position,
- Core Connection for Rider and Horse by Lindsay Wilcox-Reid. Preparing the body and mind for riding
performance in partnership
3. Ride With Your Mind – Rider Biomechanics
- Ride with your Mind – Rider Biomechanics: www.mary-wanless.com
- www.overdale-equestrian.co.uk. A wonderful equestrian centre ,where a variety of courses with Mary are held. Well worth the visit, lots of fun and learning!
- www.aebc.com.au. Dr Andrew McLean and the Australian Equestrian Behaviour Centre (AEBC) lead the world in theoretical and practical application of Equitation Science. Equitation Science aims to improve horse and rider relationships through understanding how horses learn and how the rider can interact with their horse with optimal effect. Dr Andrew McLean is a founder member of the International Society of Equitation Science (ISES).
- www.equitationscience.com. I am a practitioner of the International Society of Equitation Science (ISES). It is a not-for-profit organisation with the primary function of fascilitating research into the training and welfare of horses. I train my Irish Sports Horse, Lady, using the ISES Training principles, which translates to obedience obtained using the lightest of aids and complements nicely with the RWYM Rider Biomechanics training.
- Ride with Your Mind Essentials by Mary Wanless. Innovative learning strategies for basic riding skills
- Ride with Your Mind Clinic by Mary Wanless. Rider Biomechanics – Basics to Brilliance
- Academic Horse Training – Equitation Science in Practice by Andrew McLean and Manuela McLean.
4. Rider Health
- www.equestrianconfidence.com – Jo Cooper is the person to speak to regarding issues with confidence and performance. There is lots of information on her website and her consultations are over the phone! I personally have used Jo to great effect with regards to my riding, and helping me get my ‘go for it’ attitude back.
- www.clarealbinson.co.uk – An experienced horsewoman and author, who understands the many pitfalls that befall the horse rider, offers hypnotherapy for scared and nervous riders.
- www.movetoimprove.co.uk – Karin Major, Feldenkrais Method® Practitioner. My first experience of Feldenkrais, with Karin, was while on a course at Overdale. I’d been riding for a number of months with a prolite back support, having crushed two vertebrae in my back. I remember Karin asking me, what did I want out of my session with her and said I wanted to no longer feel my back! And so began a 45 minutes session to which I followed Karin’s instructions. It felt like I was making tiny inconsequential movements as she instructed me to move my pelvis around a clock face, moving from 12 o’clock (belly button) to 1 o’clock and back again, 12 o’clock to 1 and onto 2 o’clock. Progressing to moving between 2 o’clock and 8 o’clock! At the end I got up and could no longer ‘feel my back’ and from that day on that prolite back support has been gathering dust in my cupboard! Can’t recommend Karin and the Feldenkrais Method® highly enough!
5. Horse Health
- www.laviniamitchell.com – highly recommend saddle fitter and saddles
- www.equineandcaninesolutions.co.uk – Rachel Greetham – Equine Physiotherapist
- www.epauk.org/register.php – Darren McLean – Equine Podiatrist
- www.purefeeds.co.uk– simple feeding system
- www.forageplus.co.uk– outstanding mineral balancers for horses